Thursday, April 21, 2005

instant fan, thanks to file sharing

I occasionally indulge in some file sharing. My primary goal is usually to get electornic copies of books I own, which makes them much easier to reference. But occasionally I download movies on a whim or if I want to see something early. My moral rule is that if I really enjoy the show I end up buying or renting it when it's available, depending on how much I liked it. Right now I have an all-you-can eat two-discs-at-a-time account with Blockbuster, so I am not quite sure if my rental money gets distributed to the movies I rent in proportion, but I am sure some relation is there.
Anyways, here is a somewhat typical experience that whoever thinks about movie downloads should consider. But primarily it is a review for Battlestar Galactica miniseries DVD.
I heard of the show from NPR interview. I didn't get much of a hook from that, as I only got the tail end of the interview, but the name and the fact of a very strong fan base stuck. So while I was looking for something else on isohunt, I saw the torrent Galactica and clicked it. Now here is a key point: I thought this was a movie (and was even wondering when it was in theaters). Ok, I finally got to start it on the train this morning. With the minor glitch that the beginning of the 'movie' had a few racy scenes (no human gets naked. ok, no robot gets naked either, sorry :) which could be embarassing on a crowded LIRR train, the experience was TOTALLY CAPTIVATING. I finished the movie tonight. As I do not want to spoil this for anyone (hint: click the link above), here is a one sentece summary:

Deep, fascinating exploration human character facing its own possibly mistaken creation, which is complemented, not overpowered by the awesome special effects.

It's a run-on, but I tried my best :).
One of the big bonuses of watching the show as a movie (I did not realize this is a miniseries untill I looked it up to buy) was that I thought the transitions between scenes were extremely suspenseful and poignant. Also the number of subplots was staggering. Once I realized this is a mini I was almost a bit disappointed, as these things that made the movie so special seemed just a detail of doing a mini. But on the second thought I realized that the show was shot as a movie with mini in mind, not like some other shows that are shot as episodes and then pasted together. Goodbye, Star Trek. Orphaned fans, I think you just found a new home.

12 Comments:

At October 22, 2005 at 8:40 PM, Blogger Stephen said...

Hey, Nice Blog!

Makes some very interesting reading.

Please be sure to check out my site here - Mininova - for some great bit torrent downloads.

Thanks

 
At October 31, 2005 at 11:17 AM, Blogger Katrina said...

Hey,

Very nice blog and some interesting posts. Have a look at my new bit torrent site called - Mininova -

Thanks

 
At December 13, 2005 at 6:52 AM, Anonymous Movie Downloads said...

Nice blog. Enjoying the break Looking for good blogs about movie downloads. Found some cool stuff here. I have a movie downloads review site. It has good info. Visit if you have the time or the notion. Have a good day. movie downloads

 
At December 13, 2005 at 12:30 PM, Anonymous Movie Downloads said...

Nice blog. Enjoying the break Looking for good blogs about movie. Found some cool stuff here. I have a movie review site. It has good info. Visit if you have the time or the notion. Have a good day. movie

 
At January 12, 2006 at 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shop at your favorite stores 24 hours a day. Why go to the mall when you can shop online and avoid the traffic

 
At February 25, 2006 at 1:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, you've got a great blog here.
I have a site. It pretty much covers download full length movies related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
http://earthdwelr.moviecity.hop.clickbank.net

 
At March 1, 2006 at 8:39 PM, Anonymous mp3 said...

Hey what's up, just letting you know that someone from C.A. read your blog!

Regards,
Charles
mp3

 
At April 13, 2006 at 6:25 PM, Blogger alberthaanstra said...

Hello friend. Thanks for having me on your great blog today. Blogger should be happy to have you on board! Do you need free debt consolidation? Well, look no further. I help you for free my friend. I have tried and tested all sites But, the best was debt-consolidation.com. So, let me help you. Fill in the form today for free. And be debt free. Get credit repair today!

 
At January 16, 2007 at 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

new york car insurance
car insurance in new jersey
car insurance dallas
car insurance quote uk
aa car insurance
cheap online car insurance quote
car insurance rating
car insurance
cheap car insurance rate
aarp car insurance
car insurance rate
car insurance rate
car insurance canada
car accident insurance
cheap car insurance quote uk
teen car insurance
car insurance in new jersey
aarp car insurance
compare car insurance quote
buy car insurance
car insurance group
progressive car insurance quote
car insurance uk
classic car insurance
affordable car insurance
low cost car insurance online
cheap car insurance quote
nationwide car insurance
car insurance chicago
cheap car insurance quote

http://cheap-car-insurance.quickfreehost.com

Random Keyword: :)
classic car insurance

 
At January 31, 2007 at 4:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Motorola Razr

motorola razr v3
Cingular Ringtones
Pay Day Loan
Stop Smoking
Quit Smoking
Mosquito Ringtone
Free Nokia Ringtone
Nokia Ringtones
Polyphonic Ringtones
Nokia Ringtones
iphone
Free Ringtones
Pay Day Loan
Car Loan

 
At April 18, 2007 at 2:24 AM, Blogger Ayisha said...

nice site for more books I have some more gifts..



Reference books

Books

Kitaben

books

Reference Books

tutorials

rapidshare tutorials

rapidshare books

MZWorld

Upload Books

MZWorld Library

Books Forum

 
At April 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hdvtwq [url=http://hermeskelly.finniwolf.com][b]hermes bags for sale[/b][/url] hermes franca http://hermeskelly.finniwolf.com Gwtbzs Uupqzb Hermes Bags

 

Post a Comment

<< Home